Wednesday, March 10, 2010

6 weeks on crutches

I stay at home and take care of our 2 boys and the house...well...I did up until 3 1/2 weeks ago when I dislocated my left knee, skiing for the first time. Since then someone has been with the boys and I nonstop taking care of us and all of the household chores.
That's right, my husband and I thought it would be a good idea to go skiing for the first time. Actually... I was ready to have nice, relaxing family vacation. We agreed we would to take the two boys to an indoor water park/ lodge for the weekend. When my husband says, "I think we need to go on a vacation just for us." See we are in this couples bible study group and we are learning how important it is to not only be mom and dad but husband and wife (which I totally agree with). So in a weak moment, I agreed, yes we did need to have some time to ourselves. So we went out and bought new ski coats and pants, new hats and gloves, read up on the Internet, and talked to friends and family, so that we could be prepared for this new, "fun" adventure. I was nervous, he was excited. Ski lessons were were a must. We even scoped out the ski slopes the night before.
We got there that morning, rented our boots and skis and got into a lesson. We were in the lesson with 13- 13 year olds. Uhhggg! But I was doing pretty good, learning all the techniques we were taught, and being able to do them. I hadn't fallen once. Once we were released from the class we both decided to go down the learner hills a couple more times. But there were A LOT of kids there and multiple classes going on. So we decided we were ready and took a couple runs down the bunny hill. After my second time down I fell getting on the "magic carpet" (moving sidewalk going up the side of the hill). So once we got to the top again Robert asked me if I was ready to go take a break. It was very warm that day and we had multiple layers on. I said, "no, lets go down one more time". (After all we were right there.) Halfway down I started to feel like I was going too fast. (there were A LOT of little kids at the bottom of the hill.) So I decided to make a slight turn, hoping to slow down a little. (one of the techniques we were taught) Instead, I started going down, I felt myself falling. I tried to sit back a little and the next thing I know I felt my knee "pop" out of socket. Once I stopped I lifted that leg up to get the ski and boot off. I knew by this point I wasn't getting up, because when I did that, I felt my knee move back into place. Once I was finally able to get my husbands attention, he clicked his skis off and ran up the hill. He summoned the ski patrol who eventually brought the snowmobile and sled to get me back to first aid. Yeah, that was embarrassing! At first aid we decided we have health insurance for a reason and that I should probably go to the emergency room to have it looked at. Everything checked out, nothing was found on the initial x-rays. The ER Doctor suggested I follow up with an orthopedic surgeon... Luck for me, I am married to an orthopedic surgeon's PA.
So Monday morning I made it into the office, thanks to my dad, to get more x-rays, and set up an appointment for an MRI. They were able to get me in that day. By the time my husband made it home from work that night the radiologist had called to let him know the MRI results. Compression fracture on my femur (thigh bone) and the inside ligament that holds my knee cap in place was torn. I could not put pressure on my break for 6 weeks! I have a 8 mo old, I Can't be off of my foot for 6 weeks!! And the ligament had to be surgically repaired!
Two weeks later I had surgery. I also have to keep my leg straight for 4 weeks at which time I will gradually work into bending it with a brace and weeks of physical therapy. It has now been almost 2 weeks since the surgery. It's hard to go from doing everything for everyone (at least trying my best) to having everything done for me. We are so Blessed to have such great family, friends and church community. They are all taking care of us. Babysitting, chauffeuring, cooking, cleaning, thinking of and praying for us. We are so grateful and have some big debts to return when I am back up and running.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Erin, Cute blog! I hope your recovery is going well. If I don't see you at church this week have a great Easter! -Amanda

    ReplyDelete