Sunday, July 25, 2010

Never

When I was younger I guess I must have used the word "Never" a lot. Because I am slowly being reminded of it now. Okay, I grew up on a farm and loved it and would not change that experience for anything. But here is where it begins, I vaguely remember saying to my parents, "I will never live in town" But they seem to remember it very well and reminded me of it plenty when I moved to "town". But as an adult, I have tried the living in the country thing, and nope, I was wrong, I don't think it's for me.

I also think I may have said, "I will never have a dog" Sorry if I offend anyone, but those of you that know me very well, know that I am, in general, not an animal lover. Especially of birds and cats, but yes, even dogs. But then it happened, at a very weak point in my life I allowed us to get a dog. She "Miss Ellie" (as she was known then) was 8 months old and needed a new home. This is when, as a married adult, we lived in said "country", and thought we had the perfect place for a full bread chocolate lab to live. And having "Hannah" (as she is known now) would be so much fun for Carter (18 months at the time)... I try to help Robert "remember" it differently, but we both know it was me that made it happen. Don't get me wrong. She is a good dog and I love her. Just another, "I will never..." moment.

Then comes the big one. It happened this past week. I took our pretty Hannah, now 3 yrs old, and Hyper as the day we got her, to the vet to have a nice spa day on Tuesday. I had them clip her because it has just been so hot outside. That morning and the night before it had rained A LOT and when I picked her up (and spent $50) I just couldn't take her out to her kennel to roll around in the mud. So I thought... I will just leave her in the house until Robert gets home, surely it will be dried up outside by then and we can put her outside and not feel so bad about the $50 that I just spent to get her washed. Then Robert comes home... "I think we should just keep her inside." WHAT? No, I don't think that is a good idea. Well, guess what, when you are out numbered 3-1 (I don't care if two of them are under the age of 4) Hannah gets to stay in the house.

I have to say, I do love watching Carter and Collin play with her and get excited about having her in the house. But I still have an uneasy feeling about this... We all do realize this means more work for mom, right? More vacuuming, making sure Collin is not eating her food and playing in her water, taking her outside to go potty, making sure she is groomed more often. I think you get the picture.

So tell me... have you said, "Never" and had to eat your words?

3 comments:

  1. Oh, where do I start??!! Beginning with I'll never let my kids sleep with me and ending with I'll never feed them hot dogs and call that a dinner. I've done it all and we're still here to tell about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does "My children will never..."count? Because children "will never act like that in public" or "My children will never leave the house with dirt on their clothes, or their teeth not brushed, or hair not combed" I also believe my husband promised me I would never clean a bathroom after we were married...yeah right!

    As for Hannah moving into the house, I know others will be in a different camp, but I am of the school that says it's not really a part of the family until it lives in the house. A little dog fur isn't the end of the world. The snuggles of a dog curled up beside a couple of boys while they watch a movie before bed is one of those sweet memory moments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too said, "I will never have a pet!" And now I have a dog and a cat and Abi will be getting a "mouse" for her birthday! So there! I love the pets but i do HATE the hair all over!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete